Friday, September 14, 2012

Working in Limbo

My whole life I was preparing myself for the decision I made in January 2010. I decided, that of the many choices I had, acting would be the first career that I would be committed. The initial move was exciting. I left college, moved to LA, and I was emerged right in the industry from day 1. Flash forward to September 2012...

I have not been in a movie. I do not have a show named after me, and I am not shopping on Rodeo every day. Although this is true, I could not be more happy. When I look back on the little 20 year old girl that came here I smile. I had many unrealistic expectations of what Hollywood would be, and thank god I did. I thought it would be easy. Thank god it is not easy, because I never did good with easy. My senior year of school my statistics teacher pulled me to the side and told me something about myself that I will never forget. " B (the name I went by), I have started to notice a trend in all your tests. If there is a question that every person in the class gets right, then 6 times out of 10 you will get it wrong. (I told you it was my statistics class.) If there is a question that every single person in the class gets wrong, than I do not even need to check your answer, because you get the "hardest" question right every time." This just proved to me what I already knew... I love and live for challenges. And since acting is probably the most competitive field there is, I found where I belong. The hardest task is that the entertainment industry forces you to learn patience and how to ignore unnecessary distractions.

There is no blue print on how to make it in Hollywood. It is a mixture of who you know, who knows you, how talented you are, how hard you work, timing and just plain luck. If you ask any coach who has ever got to work with me, they will tell you I am one of the most hard working athletes they have ever seen. If you ask people that know me in LA, many might say she talks too much or I have not seen her do much. The crazy thing is they would both be right. It is hard to be a hard worker, when you have nothing to work on, and even when you finally get on a project it takes forever to come out. 

The whole time while you struggle to find work, or while the waiting is happening, your friends and family will try and make you feel bad. They all think that you are not doing anything. When you say I am busy, because you are writing or reading, they will get mad. They will say you do not care about them. In reality, they are saying they do not respect what you are doing. If you were going to school to be a doctor and told them, "No I have to study, we have pop quizzes often and they take up 35% of our grade" there would be no bickering. SoYES, doctor's have it easier when it comes to gaining access to their field. There is a nice paved road that leads you right to your destination, but we artists do not have that luxury. We artists, do not have deadlines, we do not have guide lines, we do not (initially) have one person besides our self telling us to sit down, write your ideas, and practice. All we have is this urge to get our creativity out. We have an urge to get the images and ideas that are in our heads out into the physical world. 



Every now and then events will align and you will feel yourself starting to elevate, you will feel this over whelming feeling of happiness and in that moment, you know that you are doing exactly what you are suppose to be doing. Hold onto those moments and keep working. Do not let the haters, failures, and set backs keep you down or send you back to unhappiness. Accept all those events as part of the journey. Every great person that you look up to and admire have went through some sssshhhhhhiiiiitttttt. While you are going through "your sssshhhhhhiiiiitttttt" family members and friends will be on the side lines nagging. (While they are claiming to be your biggest supporters)....Every time something bad happens just smile and know that setback is setting you up for an even greater blessing. Every time someone complains you are neglecting your relationship, realize you are building a better relationship with your craft. Every time you create something that is"not quite right", realize you are one project closer to fulfilling your dreams. It will not be easy, but it will be worth it!

Just some food for thought, because I love to eat.

Lexsi Lewis ... Muah!!! xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment