Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Praise More Than You Criticize

OMG! SSSSSTTTTTTOOOOOOOPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

There has been one person in my life that I try and try to get along with, and there is always just something that pushes us apart! I JUST realized what it is. This person has the power to turn a positive situation into a negative one in .5 seconds!

My friend plays for the Ravens and they were playing the Chargers Sunday. So I told this person that lives in San Diego that I would be coming down for the weekend. The first thing they said was "I hate that you can only come down when your celebrity friends are here!" My first reaction was too not even respond. But I am a Leo, so I responded with. "I do not come to San Diego, just like you do not come to LA. I think its boring, and I do not want to use money for gas, or trains or whatever to go somewhere I do not want to be.It is that simple. So yes, an old friend that will give me tickets to a game is enough incentive for me to actually come down to SD, and I would like to see you while I am there." Maybe I am a man in this sense, but why could she not focus on the fact that I was coming and that I wanted to see her while I was there? Instead, she tried to make me feel bad, which made me not want to see her at all. I told her I was coming regardless and to hit me if she wanted to see me. (Of course she didn't hit me) (Ladies I swear this is probably why your man gets so frustrated with you too!) Stop twisting what could have been a happy good time, and turning it into "you're still not doing good enough"

A good friend of mine helped me out with this very same issue last year. Until this year my and my father had a very estranged relationship. I could at that point remember every single conversation I had every had with him, because they were so few and far between. I was at a place in my life where I finally accepted I wanted better for myself and I was going to have it, and I did not really need my father in my life. "I feel like he only wants to be around to celebrate, to show off at graduations." My friend replied with "So! Let him have that time. If that is the only time he wants to be around than so be it. Celebrate in those times, and let him have that time with you, so you can have that time with him. Do not look to him for more than that. If that is who he is than accept him for that. And cherish any moments you can have with him, because some people's parents are dead, and some people's parents will just never be there." He was right, and since than I have looked at my father in a new light. We started talked every few months, than every few weeks, and now every few days. I have a pretty close relationship with my dad now. I have secrets that I tell him, and he has secrets that he tells me. We are extremely alike. Sometimes are similarities almost scare me. (But I mean he is my father. Lol) But this relationship would have never been this good had I not learned to cherish the good about him, and ignore his faults.

I truly believe that he can sense that I truly accept him for who he is now, and that is why we can be so close. I no longer make him feel bad when we talk, we just talk. If there is a relationship that you are trying to save, look at yourself and count the amount of times you praise that person and compare that to the amount of times you criticize that person. If you want someone to stay in your life you should at LEAST be praising them two times the amount of times you are criticizing them. If  this is not the case, they probably will not be sticking around for long, family or not.

Just some food for thought, because I love to eat!!!

Lexsi Lewis ... Muah !!! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment